Company: Texas Monthly
Description: Texas Monthly is looking for a freelance writer who can report and write two articles a month on medical and health care issues across the Lone Star State. We seek stories both about groundbreaking innovations and the persistent problems plaguing these fields. Beyond merely reporting the latest news, this coverage will focus on narratives and characters to make often-complex medical issues relatable and compelling for readers. This is a contract position available to writers based anywhere in Texas and will report to the senior editor for business and innovation.
Contract responsibilities include:
- Writing two articles per month for Texas Monthly, including one front-of-book print column every other month
- Pitching story ideas regularly to the senior editor for business and innovation
Successful candidates will possess the following:
- Previous experience reporting on medicine and health care
- An ability to write compelling narrative- and character-focused stories
- An ability to develop story ideas that appeal to a wide general audience
- Knowledge of the health care and medical landscape in Texas
If you are a qualified candidate, please email a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line. Promising applicants will be selected for an initial screening interview; candidates who move forward in the hiring process from there will be given a paid freelance writing assignment for Texas Monthly; the senior editor will select a contract writer based on the success of the freelance assignment.